Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon won’t seek re-election | Business News

Amid a historic crisis in Louisiana’s property insurance marketplace, Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon said Tuesday morning that he will not seek re-election to a fifth full term this fall.

The surprise announcement comes as Donelon, a Republican from Metairie, attempts to sort out a near-collapse of Louisiana’s property insurance market. Since 2020’s Hurricane Laura, a dozen insurers writing business in the state have failed, and more than a dozen others have stopped writing business.

The result has been that the number of policyholders covered by Louisiana Citizens Property Insurance Corp., the state’s insurer of last resort, has more than tripled.

In hopes of reducing Citizens’ rolls, Donelon has revived a plan he implemented after Hurricane Katrina to offer state grants to incentivize insurance companies to begin writing business in the state. He was updating the public on that plan when he announced his impending retirement Tuesday.

Donelon said his age and the demands of responding to the insurance crisis in anticipation of the upcoming session were the two factors in his decision not to run.

At 78, Donelon is the longest-serving commissioner to hold the position that has been tainted by scandal; three of his predecessors were convicted and served time in federal prison.

“One thing that did play a factor is a state campaign takes a lot of time, and I haven’t had any time since late last year to put toward my re-election effort,” Donelon said Tuesday.

Donelon said he last held a fundraiser before the holidays in Baton Rouge.

“And since then I haven’t been able to lift a finger toward my re-election campaign because of the time that this crisis has demanded of me and my staff,” he said.

After Gov. John Bel Edwards convened a special session in February, the Legislature agreed — at

Read the rest

Trump Search: What May Come Next In Inquiry With Legal Peril

WASHINGTON (AP) — A newly released FBI document helps flesh out the contours of an investigation into classified material at former President Donald Trump’s Florida estate. But plenty of questions remain, especially because half the affidavit, which spelled out the FBI’s rationale for searching the property, was blacked out.

That document, which the FBI submitted so it could get a warrant to search Trump’s winter home, provides new details about the volume and top secret nature of what was retrieved from Mar-a-Lago in January. It shows how Justice Department officials had raised concerns months before the search that closely held government secrets were being illegally stored — and then returned in August with a court-approved warrant and located even more classified records at the property.

It all raises questions whether a crime was committed and, if so, by whom. Answers may not come quickly.

A department official this month described the investigation as in its early stages, suggesting more work is ahead as investigators review the documents they removed and continue interviewing witnesses. Intelligence officials will simultaneously conduct an assessment of any risk to national security potentially created by the documents being disclosed.

At a minimum, the investigation presents a political distraction for Trump as he lays the groundwork for a potential presidential run.

Then there’s the obvious legal peril.

WHAT IS THE FBI INVESTIGATING?

None of the government’s legal filings released so far singles out Trump — or anyone else — as a potential target of the investigation. But the warrant and accompanying affidavit make clear the investigation is active and criminal in nature.

The department is investigating potential violations of multiple laws, including an Espionage Act statute that governs gathering, transmitting or losing national defense information. The other laws deal with the mutilation and removal of records as

Read the rest