B.C. lawyer that accepted $45,000 in $20 bills gets suspended | iNFOnews


FILE PHOTO.

Image Credit: pexels.com



February 26, 2023 – 6:00 AM







A B.C. lawyer who accepted $45,000 in $20 bills has been suspended for 10 weeks due to a multitude of financial irregularities.


According to a Feb. 15 Law Society of B.C. decision, Abbotsford-based lawyer Randle W. Howarth improperly used his firm’s trust account to receive $776,305 although he provided no legal services.


On one occasion he accepted $45,540 in $20 bills and made no inquiries as to what “legitimate economic activities” would generate so much cash in such small denominations.


Howarth did admit he’d heard the investor was a “drug dealer” but didn’t think the allegation was credible.


The decision says the lawyer also made “misleading or inaccurate” statements to the Law Society.


He told the Law Society he hadn’t received more than $7,500 in cash into his trust account when he’d actually received $96,907.


Howarth signed a consent agreement admitting to professional misconduct.


The decision says Howarth has been a lawyer since 1978 and practices in motor vehicle cases, civil litigation and creditors’ remedies.


READ MORE: B.C. lawyer accused of laundering $23.5M


The professional misconduct has to do with a sawmill mill investment Howarth was involved in 2014.


More than a dozen investors advanced $25,000 to Howarth for the sawmill venture and he deposited the cash into his trust account.


“Between September 2014 and August 2017, Howarth used his firm’s trust account to receive and disburse a total of $776,305.97… in circumstances where no substantial legal services were provided,” the decision reads.


“The lawyer failed to maintain or produce receipts for the cash accepted and deposited to trust. Furthermore, the

Read the rest

Trump indictment odds skyrocket after bombshell Mar-a-Lago report, legal experts say

A bevy of legal experts, reacting to new explosive reporting about the Mar-a-Lago documents investigation, is convinced there is now enough evidence to charge former President Donald Trump with crimes.

Fresh details about the politically charged Justice Department inquiry, reported by the Washington Post and others on Wednesday, revealed a Trump employee told federal investigators that Trump himself ordered the moving of boxes stocked with records following a May subpoena for classified material, and security footage corroborated the account.

DOJ ASKS SUPREME COURT TO REJECT TRUMP’S REQUEST TO BLOCK USE OF CLASSIFIED MATERIALS

Government investigators are working to determine whether Trump committed a host of crimes, including those engaged with the destruction of government documents, mishandling of classified information, and obstruction.

Trump has denied any wrongdoing and has dubiously claimed that he declassified all the records taken from his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida. But this new reporting has given his naysayers more reason to suspect he’s vulnerable to an indictment.

“There it is,” national security lawyer Bradley Moss tweeted.

“Between this and the testimony of Alex Cannon (to name just two recent developments) Trump’s MAL goose is cooked. As I have oft said, the issue is no longer the proof, but DOJ’s will. Trump worker told the FBI about moving MAL boxes on Trump’s orders,” tweeted former Mueller “pit bull” prosecutor Andrew Weissmann.

Weissmann was referring to an attorney for Trumpwho assisted with the transfer of material to the National Archives but refused his request in February to say all the documents had been returned, according to the Washington Post.

Read the rest

New Orleans short-term rental rule barring out-of-state owners unconstitutional, appeals court says | Business News

A key provision of New Orleans’ short-term rental law that at to slow the industry’s spread into city neighborhoods has been ruled unconstitutional by a federal appeals court, dealing a blow to housing advocates who fought to get the law passed three years ago and potentially reshaping the local short-term rental market.

A three-judge panel of the US Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals said Monday that the 2019 ordinance illegally discriminates against out-of-state property owners.

The law, like those in other cities, bans “whole-home” rentals in residential areas and requires license holders in those areas to prove they live full-time on the lots they list. But in the ruling, which could force a near-total rewrite of the city’s rules, US Circuit Court Judge Jerry Smith said that restricting licenses to city residents violates the commerce clause of the US Constitution by shutting others out of the market.

“The city doesn’t just make it more difficult for (out-of-state owners) to compete in the market for STRs in residential neighborhoods; it forbids them from participating altogether,” Smith wrote in his unanimous decision.

The ruling doesn’t automatically strike down the law, which imposes rules for short-term rentals in both residential and commercial areas and also bans them in the French Quarter and the Garden District. But it will let the short-term rental owners who sued the city in a 2019 federal lawsuit request that a US District judge kill portions of the law, said attorney Dawn Wheelahan, who represents the plaintiffs.

That would potentially allow an increase in short-term rentals as out-of-state owners list their properties or purchase new ones to list.

“All that’s left for me to do is go to the district court and ask to enjoin the city’s ordinance, which I will do,” Wheelahan said. “(The city) will

Read the rest